Saturday, January 11, 2014

The True Lies of Newspapers

We all have our individual political affiliations and the same fact can be extrapolated to Media Corporations. I have heard several times that the Times of India is a pro-Congress Media house. What I want to highlight here however, are a few articles in the times of India that caught my eye.  



Alok Nath might not have in his wildest dreams imagined that a 20 year old would be talking about him and his “Sanskari” attitude. His performance in movies and Indian soaps have made him the butt of several jokes; my favourite one being “Alok Nath takes off his chappals before he plays Temple Run”! Through his unwitting fame on social media, he made his way to the more traditional forms of the media. Alok Nath was the star of the show. But towards the end of the article, I found something interesting. 



Next, I opened another article. I was genuinely drawn to the caption. I don't even know why.  Now that I think of it, the word business might have drawn me to it.


The article spoke of a business owner who collects Indian currency notes with special serial numbers. Fair enough. As a matter of fact, I got engaged last year and my uncle presented me with a note with the serial number of the day in question. It took me a while to figure out why he handed me a 10 rupee note. My fiancee was the first to spot the serial number. Well, as fate would have it or should I say the Times of India would have it, the article had an innocuous bit of information.


Call me a paranoid freak, but I can't help but notice why the same name keeps showing up in seemingly unrelated articles. You might say that Arvind Kejriwal is the most popular man in town today; which is indeed the case, but there's one fact that I know to be true. The media and especially the Times of India does not give you such visibility  for free. Either you pay them, or the media outlet itself has a certain ulterior motive. In this case, my guess would be a certain political leaning. I've said this earlier that through a cursory glance of the TOI, you get the impression that it is a Pro-Congress media house. Political opponents do get coverage, albeit bordering on the negative. Or if a positive article is published, two negative articles might be published. Or as in the case of the two articles in question in this post, negative commentary can be slyly inserted into totally unrelated articles.

We are all familiar with the theory of subconsciously being affected by the information flashed in front of us. Companies and governments don't spend millions of dollars on Billboards and tv advertisements if they didn't have an impact on our minds. I'd like to point readers to the following article titled "10 Corporations Control almost everything you buy"

Why then is the Times of India surreptitiously supporting the AAP when it has always been pandering to the Congress? I can only wonder why!

No comments: