Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Work hard or study further?


The nagging question that most juniors have asked me is “Should I go for an M.S or opt for a job?” To answer that in a line, “Only you can know that!”

Going abroad to study is becoming as mundane as joining a coaching class. It’s simply a service. You pay for it, you get it. And far too often, people are doing this just because everyone else is doing so. That’s not entirely a bad idea, but at the end of the day, what you want to achieve and what your interests are matter much more.

From my personal experience, I felt that I would have fared much better and would have been a bit more satisfied had I started working soon after my Bachelors degree. It might be a little early to say for sure whether it was a good or bad idea because I've that not yet finished my Masters’ Degree. But over the past year, I've come to realize I’d have been better off working immediately. And that is primarily because I am not a person who enjoys “studying” a lot. And most people aren't as well. The point I’m trying to make is that before you take a decision about going abroad and studying, it’s important to figure out what exactly you want.

Do you enjoy routine schoolwork like going to class, finishing assignments, studying for tests and schmoozing with your professors? Are you going abroad just because your friends are or your boyfriend/girlfriend is going too? Or maybe your aunts, uncles, neighbors or dad’s colleagues are telling you how good it is to go abroad and settle? Do you have fantasies about the United States and feel that studying there is all frat parties and chicks and beer? Really ask yourselves these questions and go ahead only if you feel your answers are satisfactory enough.

When Canadian people ask me about the difference in the lifestyle I had in India and the one I’m having in Canada, I say it’s about the same. 10 years ago, things were different. Today, you get just about everything you want back home in India. The difference I do point out is that things are very organized in North America, but I believe India is slowly getting there and it’s just a matter of time before the balance tips in favor of our country.

2 comments:

rogermar said...

US isn't all about chicks and beer??
dara mat, btw what do you think of teach for india?
www.teachforindia.org

Anirudh said...

I think teach for india is a great idea. and I will definitely get more involved when I get back!